Faience - K & G Luneville Hand Painted Ceramic Vase.
7 1/2"T - 5"W.
Beautiful vintage hand painted ecru with raspberry accent vase.
This vase is lovely! It's decorated with a beautiful botanical flower/herb displayed in full...probably one of a series. The age of this vase is apparent in style and with close inspection...wear and tear.*
The K & G factory history -
In 1728 Jacques Chambrette established the first earthenware factory in Lorraine in Lunéville besides the river Meuse, not far from Vezouse. As a result of its economic and artistic success, the factory was awarded the status of Manufacture Royale de Fayence by the Ducs of Larraine in 1749.
The Lunéville manufacture was one of the main rivals of the expanding English and German ceramics centres and Chambrette managed to successfully export his wares to Italy, Germany, Poland, Switzerland and even The Netherlands.
From 1812, and during the following century, Lunéville was the seat of "Keller and Guérin" (Société KG), father and son-in-law.
Between 1700 and 1800 several faience manufacturers installed their companies in a tight network in Lorraine. The factories produced utensils and decorative objects. Since silver dinner services were prohibited by the king (who used the revenue of such objects to finance his wars), it was a favourable period for the faience manufacturers.
The artisans were inspired by their surroundings; faience was decorated with flowers, insects, real and fictitious animals and exotic figures. They produced faience dogs, which were placed in the halls of houses (hence the French expression "to stare at each other like faience dogs").
Later on Chinese decorations, introduced by Jesuits who brought back examples from their often dangerous missions, were applied.
Jacques Chambrette, who suffered from the high taxes that were imposed on him in the ducal region that was controlled on behalf of the King of France, coveted the episcopal area, which was connected to France, but where the influences of Louis XIV were much less smothering.
In 1758, Jacques Chambrette started a second faience factory in Saint Clement, which lies in the diocese of the bishop of Metz. In the 19th century the originally German family Keller soon allied with Guerin, gave new life to the faience factory by industrializing it. This was an era in which Luneville and it's surroundings provided very skillful workers.
The area around the faience factory, under patronage of Saint Anne developed.
In 1922 Edouard Fenal originally from Pexonne and Badonviller, bought the factories of Luneville and Saint Clement, so employment was guaranteed in Luneville and Saint Clement. The new group further developed in 1979 by buying the Serreguemines ceramics complex. Edouard's son, Gilbert is later on Salins, Vitry- Le- Francois and Digoin. The Luneville production stops in 1981, only the Saint Clemens is stilll operational 1999. - infofaience
*While it is lovely and clean inside, it feels as if there has been a minute repair to the rim. Visually there is a shallow crack inside the vase, this does not go thru to the outside and is in the upper region of the vase, therefore I believe it to be sound as a vase.
The price of this vase will reflect these issues.